Tenants’ Alterations And Improvements

If you want to carry out any alterations or improvements to your home, you must apply for our permission first.

Examples of alterations are:

  • Replacement kitchen units
  • Replacement sanitary ware
  • Replacement windows / doors
  • Installation of shower
  • Fitting of laminate flooring
  • Building a garden shed
  • Constructing a driveway

We do not charge for this service but you will need to check with the City Council whether you must apply for Planning Permission or a Building Warrant.

To apply for permission please provide details on our Alterations and Improvements Application Form or telephone the office and ask for an application pack.

The Association may approve, or withhold permission, or perhaps apply conditions for approval but permission will not be unreasonably withheld.

We will inspect the works on completion and ensure you have met any conditions we stipulate, that you have gained any necessary planning permissions, and the work complies with Health and Safety legislation.

We will recharge you for the removal of any unauthorised alterations to the property should we have to remove these at the end of your tenancy.

Some examples of alterations which we do not allow :

  • Artex or textured finishings to ceilings
  • Polystyrene tiles or coving to ceilings
  • Paint finishes to kitchen units
  • Timber linings to walls or ceilings
  • Removal of cupboard or room doors
  • Paint finishes to gas or electric fire casings

Compensation For Improvements

At the end of your tenancy you may be eligible for compensation for a qualifying improvement which you have undertaken in the property. In order to qualify for compensation you must have received our permission to carry out the improvement work, and the item improved must be in fair condition / good working order.

Decoration of your home does not qualify for compensation.

Please contact the Association for further information